Skip to main content

Financial Aid for Military

In addition to your VA benefits and the Post 9/1 GI Bills®, there are many options available to help finance your bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree. Learn how you can use your military benefits, grants, tuition assistance, loans and more to pay for your education.

Military Benefits

Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30)
Veterans and servicemembers with at least 2 years of active duty service may be eligible for this type of aid, which provides educational benefits for 3 years and varies depending on whether you contributed to the buy-up program. To learn more and see if you qualify, click here .

Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
If you currently serve or were honorably discharged from the Selected Reserve, including Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard or Air National Guard, you may be eligible for up to 3 years of educational benefits. Eligible participants must have a 6-year enlistment, or reenlistment, beginning on or after July 1, 1985. Before beginning your education, you must have a high school diploma or GED, as well as completed your initial date active training. To learn more about this program, click here .

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
This Department of Defense education benefit program was designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the president or Congress. This new program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001, either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits. Learn more here .

Montgomery (MGIB) & Post 9/11 GI Bills®
The Certificate of Eligibility (COE) will state the students benefit award, the percentage if applicable, and delimiting date that the benefit can be used. Fill out the application to apply for those benefits. 

Survivors’ & Dependants Educational Assistance Program (DEA / FRY Scholarship)
Students who are a spouse or dependants of service members who are 100% disabled or died while on active duty due to service-related condition may be eligible for assistance through this program. Dependents or the spouse of a person who is listed as a POW or MIA are also eligible.

The Yellow Ribbon Program
SNU is a proud participant in the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) Yellow Ribbon Program. The scope of benefits provided by the Post- 9/11 GI Bill® and the Yellow Ribbon Program make an SNU education accessible to eligible veterans, regardless of socioeconomic status. Both undergraduates and graduate students are eligible to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Chapter 31)
We can support you in the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment program. This provides qualifying veterans with assistance in training for a job, making accommodations for work, help with resume updating, and guidance in your job search!

Military/Civilian Tuition Assistance (TA)
Tuition assistance is a Department of Defense program that varies by branch of service and service units. Be sure to ask your education service officer about available assistance and application forms. Tuition Assistance (TA) DECIDE is a new tool developed by the Department of Defense that can help you understand these benefits. 

Similar to scholarships, grants are a form of aid that does not require repayment. These are often need-based gifts that apply to your student account.  Students may be eligible for the Federal Pell Grant and the Oklahoma OTAG Grant .

Tuition Assistance
Tuition assistance is a benefit offered through an employer which pays for college-level courses. This is offered tax-free up to $5,250 per year. This form of aid only covers tuition for courses, fees, and course materials. Examples of what’s not covered include associated meals, travel, and room and board.

Scholarships are provided by the university or other organizations are given as a gift in support of your education. These do not need to be repaid, but may come with stipulations such as major or GPA. To learn more about scholarships you may be eligible for, click here.

Loans can be provided through the federal government or a private institution. This form of aid must be repaid over time. Depending on the type of loan received, you may or may not need to begin payments while you are in school. The type of loan also affects whether or not interest accrues while you are a student. Most students prefer subsidized loans to unsubsidized loans and federal loans to private loans due to interest rates and repayment options.

Assistantships offer a benefit to graduate students in return for work in certain areas. The time commitment and amount of aid provided vary depending on the assignment and available funding. SNU has a very limited number of assistantships available, mainly working in athletics.

Request More Information

Have questions about SNU or need help determining which program is the right fit? Fill out the form and an enrollment counselor will follow-up to answer your questions!

Text With an Enrollment Counselor

Have questions, but want a faster response?  Fill out the form and one of our enrollment counselors will follow-up via text shortly!