Troops to Teachers Courses
Southern Nazarene University has partnered with Troops to Teachers to assist with service men and women’s career transitioning while addressing the current teacher shortage in Oklahoma. Troops to Teachers is a federal program, established in 1993, that assists transitioning service members and veterans in new careers in public, charter, and Bureau of Indian Affairs schools. The Oklahoma office’s goal is to identify these service men and women and help facilitate the process to obtain their teaching certificate. Finding and retaining quality teachers is of strong interest in the state of Oklahoma
The Troops to Teacher course is one 6 hour course package and will be a combination of two of the offerings below. Everyone is required to take Classroom Leadership. Elementary teachers will take the Reading course and all Secondary teachers will take the Methods course.
- ED 6523 Classroom Leadership (September 9 – October 20, 2019) – Online
- ED 6553 Reading Assessment and Instruction (March 2 – April 19, 2020) – Online
- ED 6133 Teaching Methods for Secondary Education (March 2 – April 19, 2020) – Online
- Submit Application to SNU’s Troops to Teachers (listed under Graduate Programs)
- Send all official transcripts from the college or university with awarded degrees. SNU graduates need not request their SNU transcript.
- Choose course selections on the Troops to Teachers Checklist, along with a copy of the acceptance letter from Oklahoma State Department of Education’s Alternative Placement Program for Teacher Certification to Julie Rickner at email@example.com.
All documents can be emailed to Julie Rickner or mailed to:
SNU Alternative Certification Plan
Attn: Troops to Teachers
6729 NW 39th Expressway
Bethany, OK 73008
The Troops for Teachers courses are scheduled to start throughout the year. Additional start dates will be added as they are scheduled.
Classroom Leadership (3 credit hours)
Reading Assessment and Instruction (3 credit hours)
Teaching Methods for Secondary Education (3 credit hours)
You may pay for coursework through veteran’s benefits. Scholarships are also available.