You were made for more.
You have the passion, now you need the training. Gain your alternative certification to begin teaching in Oklahoma.
First, contact the Oklahoma State Department of Education (OSDE) at (405) 521-3337 to begin the Alternative Certification application process. Once an application has been submitted to the OSDE, the OSDE will then notify individuals regarding acceptance and any additional requirements. Information is also available on the Oklahoma State Department of Education website at: Alternative Certification Program – Oklahoma State Dept. of Education
Next, apply to SNU’s Alternative Certification Plan. With SNU’s AltCert Plan leading to Standard Certification in the state of Oklahoma, you will have a plan advisor providing advice, tracking your progress, and supporting you every step of the way.
For more information, please contact the SNU School of Education Alternative Certification Advisor at (405) 491-6346.
- Apply to SNU’s Alternative Teacher Certification Plan (listed under Graduate Programs on Application)
- Request an official copy of transcripts (from the College or University where you earned your degree). Email an official copy to email@example.com or send by mail to:
ATTN: Julie Rickner
SNU School of Education
6729 NW 39th Expressway
Bethany, OK 73008
- Choose course selections on the Alternative Certification Checklist, along with a copy of the acceptance letter from Oklahoma State Department of Education’s Alternative Placement Program for Teacher Certification to Julie Rickner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Individuals who possess a bachelor’s degree from Southern Nazarene University in a subject area NOT identified as a teacher certification area by the Oklahoma State Department of Education should first contact the OSDE (see contact information above) to begin the process.
- Any individual requiring a letter of verification based on transcript review should contact the SNU Director of Educator Preparation at (405) 717-6267. The Director of Educator Preparation will review official transcripts/degree statements provided by the individual and after transcript assessment, will issue a letter of verification to the OSDE. Letters of transcript review/verification will be placed on file with the Alt Cert Plan Advisor. The Director of Educator Preparation will also provide these individuals with advisement regarding any specific coursework requirements stipulated by the OSDE.
- For questions, please contact the Alternative Certification Advisor, Julie Rickner at 405.491.6346 or email@example.com.
ED6523 Classroom Leadership (September 9 – October 20, 2019)
ED 6233 Education Technology (October 28 – December 15, 2019)
ED6223 Education Psychology (January 13 – February 23, 2020)
ED6553 Reading Assessment and Instruction (*Required) (March 2 – April 19, 2020)
ED6133 Secondary Teaching Methods (*Required for Middle/Secondary Certification) (March 2 – April 19, 2020)
ED5043 Collaborative/Interdisciplinary Teaching Practices (April 20 – May 31, 2020)
Students will automatically opt into textbook rentals through the Tree of Life bookstore. If desired, students have the option to choose a different plan offered through Tree of Life or opt out of all Tree of Life textbook plans and order books elsewhere.
*Effective July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020
Program Length: *Determined based on individual need
Tuition: $490/Credit Hour
NOTE: Tuition and any program fees are due at the Organizational Meeting. This includes the first installment, if you are on a payment plan.