You were made for more.
You have the passion, now you need the training. Gain your alternative certification to begin teaching in Oklahoma.
With SNU’s Alternative Certification Plan leading to Standard Certification in the state of Oklahoma, you will have a plan advisor providing advice, tracking your progress, and supporting you every step of the way.
For more information, please contact the SNU School of Education Alternative Certification Advisor at (405) 491-6346.
- Contact the Oklahoma State Department of Education (OSDE) at (405) 521-3337 to begin the Alternative Certification application process. Once an application has been submitted to the OSDE, the OSDE will then notify individuals regarding acceptance and any additional requirements. Information is also available on the Oklahoma State Department of Education website at: Alternative Certification Program – Oklahoma State Dept. of Education
- Apply to SNU’s Alternative Teacher Certification Plan (listed under Graduate Programs on Application)
- Request an official copy of transcripts (from the College or University where you earned your degree). Email an official copy to firstname.lastname@example.org or send by mail to:
ATTN: Julie Rickner
SNU School of Education
6729 NW 39th Expressway
Bethany, OK 73008
- Choose course selections on the Alternative Certification Checklist, along with a copy of the acceptance letter from Oklahoma State Department of Education’s Alternative Placement Program for Teacher Certification to Julie Rickner at email@example.com.
- Individuals who possess a bachelor’s degree from Southern Nazarene University in a subject area NOT identified as a teacher certification area by the Oklahoma State Department of Education should first contact the OSDE (see contact information above) to begin the process.
- Any individual requiring a letter of verification based on transcript review should contact the SNU Director of Educator Preparation at (405) 717-6267. The Director of Educator Preparation will review official transcripts/degree statements provided by the individual and after transcript assessment, will issue a letter of verification to the OSDE. Letters of transcript review/verification will be placed on file with the Alt Cert Plan Advisor. The Director of Educator Preparation will also provide these individuals with advisement regarding any specific coursework requirements stipulated by the OSDE.
- For questions, please contact the Alternative Certification Advisor, Samantha Hardy, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 405-491-6346.
ED6093 Sociology: Culture & Community of Schools
ED6523 Classroom Leadership
ED 6233 Education Technology
ED6223 Education Psychology
ED6553 Reading Assessment and Instruction (*Required)